Quirky Collections

I recently came across this photo from Country Living’s website of a pickle jar full of old tomato pincushions. I couldn’t get the image out of my mind for days.
So, I began collecting vintage tomato pincushions. I picked up a few at the second-hand craft store (yes, there’s such a thing in our area, The Legacy in Sebastopol.) Then I started scouring eBay and Etsy for reasonably priced ones. And within a week I had my collection. Ok, sort of a cheater-collection, but I have a thing about instant gratification.

I even found a fun pickle jar for 5 bucks at the antique fair last weekend. So now I’m overflowing with darling functional produce and so many ways to display them!

Do you have a quirky collection? I’d love to hear about it!

And speaking of pickling, I thought I’d dig up a post from the past that I did for my guest mom stint on the Design Mom blog, enjoy! LINK

23 Responses to Quirky Collections

1. #1 - the undomesticated wife says:

They look super cute in the truck!

Hm… I can’t think of anything quirky I collect. I really don’t collect much at all except funky artwork and vintage stained glass windows.

Now that I think about it, I do have a small collection of antique glass insulators. I made them into hose guides for my flower beds!

2. #2 - BeckyKay says:

That is so stinkin’ cute!!! What a great idea. I’m a sucker for pincushions, anyway…

3. #3 - cara says:

thats funny, I saw the same pic and loved it!!!

4. #4 - Cottage Way of Life says:

I’ve been collecting those tomato pincushions for years, I’ve got a big jar of them and love them madly. Quirky? Maybe. Fun. Absolutely!

5. #5 - Cherry Tart Design says:

I don’t really have any quirky collections but I do have an obsession with buttons. LOL. I have tons of them!

6. #6 - Chris and Kimberlee says:

We have several collections. I collect old wooden gears and wheels. We hung them on the wall of my dining room. I also collect old printing letters and ampersands. Oh, and suitcases too… I could just go on and on. 😉

7. #7 - Chris and Kimberlee says:

Oh! and Potato Mashers, Valentines and Road Maps. Wow. I really have a collecting problem. 🙂

8. #8 - Domestic Designer says:

What a neat collection! I never thought of collecting pincushions. I collect thimbles. I have about 250 that I have collected over 40 years.Have a good day!

9. #9 - Maggie says:

I collect vintage tooled-leather purses. I have them displayed on the shelves of my kitchen hutch. Kinda strange, but I love them! All the workmanship that went into each makes them works of art.

10. #10 - Kristin says:

I love your tomatoes in the pickup! So cute.

11. #11 - Lisa says:

Collections are so fun. I collect teapots, snowmen, lighthouses, but my quirkiest would be miniature chairs. I love them!

12. #12 - jen says:

These are awsome! I’ve always loved pincushions, but I think I only own one. Maybe now I’ll have to re-think that!

13. #13 - Tina says:

I have jars full of dominos and jars full of Anagrams..and now the grand and I have a collection of ROCKs going on..I have a collection of ‘church keys’ and a collection of buttons…srabble letters, smashed bottle caps..I can just keep going if you want..lol..Love the pinnys in the jar! That rocks!!

14. #14 - Melody says:

My goodness! I have not even made the cushion for the back of my hot rod yet. Now you have me thinking I should put my three measly tomatos in it instead and find more. You come up with the best ideas. Thanks!

15. #15 - My name is PJ. says:

I collect rescue animals…and they are ALL quirky! I love the pin cushions…especially in the old truck! Red is my favorite color.

16. #16 - Lucy says:

ah Cathe that’s so funny – I think we all have a thing about instant gratification when it comes to crafts! 🙂 Great post as usual!

17. #17 - Anonymous says:

These look doubly cute since you could actually can tomatoes…My pantry has 10 glass jars of various ingredients. My sewing room has jars of yo-yos, empty spools, ribbons, buttons, Scrabble tiles.

It just occurs to me that I have a collection (of 3) of the strawberry-type pincushions – gotta go and put ’em in a jar.

–Vicki K.

18. #18 - Dragonridermom says:

I collect tea pots, buttons, blue & white pottery, unusual kitchen or knitting gadgets… my son collects bottle caps… my daughter collects rubber ducks and everything pink.

Funny thing about the pin cushions, my father-in-law read a story about someone hiding money inside an old pin cushion, so he is always buying them at auctions and CUTTING THEM UP 🙁

19. #19 - xashee's corner says:

hmmm, let’s see, glass shoes, teapots, little chairs, frogs, woven baskets, glass baskets, bunnies, chickens, gloves, purses, perhaps i have a problem!!!! lol well, let’s just keep that between US! LOL but i AM getting better! i LOVE your little tomato pin cushions! i know i have AT least ONE of those too! lol Thank you so much for sharing the FUN! 🙂 Have a WONDERFUL weekend! 🙂

20. #20 - Kunklebaby says:

The red houses fabric you have in one of the shots, is on eof my FAVORITE prints!!
    I can’t help myself with jars and wooden bowls. I just picked up some really cool one today from a yard sale and thrift store.

21. #21 - Nouveau Stitch says:

My quirky collection is shopping bags (the fancier, the better) which I display as a border around my studio. My walls rival 5th Avenue!

Ellen

22. #22 - nano*ink says:

I have a very small inkwell collection – maybe 8 to 10 and my cute husband gave me one for Christmas.
    I am almost ready to figure out a way to display them. Any ideas? Anyone?
    My daughter has a collection of coin purses

23. #23 - cpeep says:

I have a collection of goofy souvenir plates, but I’m pretty much done (I only collect plates from the places of significance in my husband’s and my lives.)

I have such beauties as Johnstown, PA that features a large center image of the Inclined Plane (go ahead, look it up). And a plate featuring the Turnpike. Yup.

I think flower frogs would be a cool thing to collect. Not that I even have ONE.

Do we have to count the 700 boxes of rocks in our basement?

Carol