Kanzashi Cluster and Homework Assignments

Here is my final Kanzashi flower project. Today, I made something special for one very important gal in my life, someone who spends a great deal of time with me in my studio and I’ve become quite fond of: My dressform. {LINK}Using the pages from the same old book that I Mod Podge’d her with I scanned them as well as some other book graphics and added square (cheater) cut lines.I printed them out onto Colorfast Ink Jet Fabric sheets and trimmed out each square.Using the instructions in the Kanzashi in Bloom book, I folded, pinned, trimmed and threaded the petals into 3 flowers.I added some funky vintage black buttons to the center of each.For the Kanzashi with the 12 petals, I pulled and pushed alternating petals to create a more dimensional flower.And here’s my final cluster of book page Kanzashi flowers on my special gal.Now, for those readers that turned in their assignment, THANK YOU! You each receive a big fat A! Here they are:No. 1 : by Cheryl of Artsy~Fartsy is made from dotted Swiss fabric. Kee-yoot! No. 2: Put on your sunglasses gang, these juicy Kanzashi are all made by Suzie of Suzie Button Creations. Awesome holiday themed flowers!No. 3 : again by Cheryl of Artsy~Fartsy. The first one is made of paper and the flowers in the second photo are made from black netting! Clevaahh!
No. 4: Sweet plaid flannel flowers, by JSIM reader Molly, are made from baby quilt project leftovers with felted ball centers. I love that!
No. 5: Purse embellishments by Suzie of GeorgiaPeachez. Who does she think is, the teacher’s pet? She gets a shiny-sticker-star attached to her forehead for this fantastic job!

Thanks again to Diane Gilleland of CraftyPod for writing the book that started the frenzie!

Here’s a little “Behind the Scenes” shot for you. You know, the stuff you’re not supposed to see… Those fabric ink-jet sheets once printed were so tough to stick a pin through when folded that, after bending up several pins and killing my fingers, I resorted to using a hammer & nail to create a starter-hole in the petals before placing my pins in to hold them.

49 Responses to Kanzashi Cluster and Homework Assignments

1. #1 - PussDaddy says:

I love the flowers taht you made. Your dress form turned out lovely.

PussDaddy

2. #2 - laurie -magpie ethel says:

The perfect touch on your dress form. Love the kanzashi flowers – totally on my list of things to do (once I get thru crafting for the holiday season). very inspiring!

3. #3 - PussDaddy says:

OMG, I can't even find the link to where you sell anymore. There are just too many links. Which one is it?

PussDaddy

4. #4 - Donna says:

Gorgeous job there with the black and white with lettering! You are so clever! Yeah, I've tried to go thru multiple layers of bali fabric before and high density weave fabric (like those for the inkjet transfer) are like kevlar, LOL! I've gotten the book in the past week but haven't had time to play yet!

5. #5 - Mod Podge Amy says:

Love the dress form update! I knew her when . . 😀

6. #6 - Rook No. 17 says:

Oh my goodness! I positively adore these! I love the b&w vintage papers you used! What style! I have a bunch of old childrens' book pages and sheet music just sitting around waiting to be transformed with a wonderful project like this. Thanks for the inspiration. Your craftsmanship is impeccable.
    Jenn @ rookno17.blogspot.com

7. #7 - GeorgiaPeachez says:

Well, that dress form embellishment is just too clever and I love the behind the scenes look at the pain involved. Lots of good submissions for the craft assignment! I'm ready for my next one. xo, suzy

8. #8 - the undomesticated wife says:

Gorgeous! I need some of that motivation you have!

9. #9 - Tina says:

That is super cute!!!

10. #10 - Stephanie says:

Love it, love it, love it!!
    Stephanie

11. #11 - Cathe Holden says:

PussDaddy, there's no link to my Etsy shop because I'm not selling on Etsy right now. But I sure am buying!

12. #12 - Heather - CROQZine.com - Dollarstorecrafts.com says:

Those are all awesome. Love the black netting kanzashi!!

Also, thanks for the behind-the-scenes peek… I humbly request you photograph those more often (and your fails, if you ever have them)… you know, for craftfail.com!

13. #13 - juanita de la vega says:

beautiful flowers! And that dressform is a piece of art!

14. #14 - Carmen says:

Love, love, love these and your dress form friend looks stunning with them on too. I found a tutorial the other day for kanzashi flowers – I'm so definitely having a go when I finally get my new desk assembled 😉

15. #15 - My name is PJ. says:

Do you believe in reincarnation? I do. And every time you post one of your beautiful creations, I think about how fascinating it would be to sit with you while you were regressed through you past lives under hypnosis. Sounds like a joke, but alas, it isn't! You're really something!

And, Artsy-Fartsy has a new fan in me

16. #16 - Randi says:

Everything is just too cute! I may have to buy that book after all! You can buy the inkjet fabric sheets in organza and cotton poplin which might be easier to sew through…just a thought!

17. #17 - Suzie Button says:

I love your cleverness, and I had forgot I had sent you my Kanzashi flowers, so it was a treat to see them! I'm awed at all of the flowers! Suzie

18. #18 - SisterDG says:

WOWEEEEEE!! I am jumping up and down and clapping my hands!

I LOVE your dress form, Cathe, and was giggling my head off at your nail innovation. When I tried making paper Kanzashi, I ran into the same problem, but stopped at the bent pins. You totally rock for figuring it out.

And I also love Cheryl, Suzie, Molly, and Suzie's creations. So many great ideas – and I clearly need to lay in a stash of little felt balls.

Thank you so much for sharing all this Kanzashi goodness. Will you please write a sequel to my book? 🙂

19. #19 - sepiadreams says:

Awesome project and beautiful outcomes!!! Hugzzz..Tiina…

20. #20 - Claire says:

Just lovely! I look forward to trying this.

21. #21 - Sandrine Deleuze says:

I AM A DRESS FORM ADDICT and am dreaming of ahving an old vintage one but never never never thought about the idea to create a altered one ! girl you ROCK !! thanks for sharing !

22. #22 - Made in Persbo...Carina says:

I just can´t belive it! I´ve never seen such amazing flowers made out of paper. This I must try to do at once…well almost…dinner first, then puting my four year old boy to sleep…and then…creating floooowers! Oh la la!

Must add you to my favourites right away!

Kiss and hugs, Carina in Sweden

23. #23 - Atelier de Charo says:

Pretty flowers!!! Great job

24. #24 - bonFlourish.com says:

Another great project Cathe, thank you. Did you know that you can use the same theory to fold napkins. You would only have four petals, but it looks so pretty at Christmas. In the center you could put a candy or a little floral sprig…

25. #25 - Fanie says:

This is so awesome! I love how you thought about making a gift for your mannequin. ^-^

I still need to make Kanzashi! *mark on schedule*

26. #26 - tamdoll says:

Fantastic! I love the ones made out of paper, never thought of that.

27. #27 - Elise says:

Holly YUMMINESS! These are TO DIE FOR! Such a cool use of fabric and handcrafted fabulousness! You ROCK, Cathe! Seriously!

28. #28 - thewillowsnest says:

Very cute , love 'em

29. #29 - Amy @ Living Locurto says:

Wonderful! I love how you print on fabric. If I ever have a free moment I'm doing that. You're right… it's a flower frenzie. ha!

30. #30 - forrestina vintage says:

Love dress forms, love old books and pages, love text, love this blog…

Need to contact you about an ad soon! 😀

Happy weekend, friend!

31. #31 - jelly girl says:

I REALLY need to buy this book! I love how you always add to your dressmakers dummy…very cool.

32. #32 - marysworkshop says:

Ouch, that looks like it was painful!

I'd say it was worth it, though, because your decorated girl and her flower corsage are stunning.

Love your projects, Cathe!- Mary

33. #33 - Mei (WireBlissMei) says:

Beautiful work and lucky gal 🙂
    I am passing you the "Premio Meme Award" – its at my blog here – http://wireblissmei.blogspot.com/2009/10/long-overdue-blog-awards.html

34. #34 - PussDaddy says:

Oh, well, that explains it, lol. Have fun shopping though. 🙂

PussDaddy

35. #35 - Nishant says:

Work From Home

36. #36 - Liberty says:

I love reading your blog!! I know you don't know me, but I gave your blog an award! Pop over to get it…

37. #37 - Lynne Laura says:

Cathe,

Your flowers are fantastic and can't wait to learn how to make them! Adore the pink leather one you made as well, looks so nice on your jacket. Thank you for sharing.

Kindredly, Lynne Laura

38. #38 - SayRah says:

I just wanted to say how much I love your blog and craft ideas!
    I love them so much in fact that I have something especially for YOU on MY blog! Please come by my blog to pick it up!
    ((hugs & blessings))
    Sarah

39. #39 - brooklynechaos says:

Those all turned out so pretty. You know you're making me want to buy the book. 😉 Being a fledgling paper artist, I especially like the paper one Cheryl made. And I can totally see why you love your dressform, she's beautiful.

40. #40 - Tammy says:

Love your mannequin! She is gorgeous! Wow those paper flowers are really cool. I might have to try those out.
    Love your blog, BTW.
    Xo,
    Tammy

41. #41 - LuckyStarLane says:

Cathe, you've got to see our flowers on luckystarlane.blogspot.com/
    You are such an inspiration..love everything you do!
    Erin

42. #42 - Tracy Suzanne says:

When your an artist you see everything so uniquely. And my dear it's painfully obvious that your an artist. I love how you used the black and white print letters to make those lovely flowers. I have the gift of appreciating beautiful things. I just wish I could see more of it before it's made like you. What a wonderful eye you have.
    I wish you blessings…Tracy

43. #43 - Jessica Stier says:

Hello, I just found your blog and am totally adding it to my RSS feed. You have such great ideas! In fact, I was completely inspired by this post. Randomly, it might seem, I have all these school papers and worksheets that my Kindergartner brings home in mass quantities. This post inspired me to make a decoupaged picture frame for his school picture using his school work. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

44. #44 - Rita Kent at TesoroFino.Com says:

I just love and adore that dressform transformation! Thanks for sharing your masterpiece…please come visit my dad's masterpiece.

Please stop by and read my post at TesoroFino.blogspot.com about my dad's Fresco Paintings in the Cathedrals of Southern Italy. The photos are lovely and no matter what age I am, I'm still daddy's proud little girl. Come see; you'll be glad u did!

45. #45 - Catherine says:

Thanks for posting about these wonderful flowers… we went right out and bought the book!

46. #46 - pk says:

These are amazing! My favorites are the black and whites. Love them.

pk @ Room Remix

47. #47 - Marci says:

WOW! I absolutely LOVE your dress form and the flowers you added to it! Incredible work!

MarciFerguson.blogspot.com

48. #48 - Noreen says:

Your dress form is clever.. but I love all your flowers!

49. #49 - Daniel Askeland says:

Did you know that the main page you've used on the body, is from a Norwegian, or most probably a Danish book. (Norwegian and Danish are similar)

The word "Plantelære" means somthing like "the teachings about plants" in English.

dan!el

Ps. I love all your work! I want to become a graphic designer myself one day, and find this blog of yours higly inspirational. And I like the way you combine both "hobby" and graphic design.