Snowflakes from Kyiv

A very talented reader from half-way around the world emailed black & white photographs of his beautiful hand-cut snowflakes. I’m so happy to have received these and to share them with you from Arthur Shramko of Kyiv, Ukraine, who writes, “When I was a child my grandmother used to make these snowflakes, so she taught me and since then I make them every year.” He makes them in winter and sticks them on windows. Incredible.

Thank you so much, Arthur.

Click here for basic paper snowflake instructions.

Here’s a tutorial for six pointed snowflakes by maleahbliss.

This entry was posted in Christmas, Paper Crafts and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

82 Responses to Snowflakes from Kyiv

1. #1 - Chris says:

Thank you for sharing Arthur & Cathe – they are fabulous !!

2. #2 - tracy says:

Oh my these are beautiful. So intricate.
    I love that his grandfather passed this on to him. It warms my heart.

3. #3 - MichelleGB says:

These are just gorgeous! I love the details and can’t wait to see if can do a simple one myself. Thanks for this!

4. #5 - Lesley says:

Beautiful and it’s lovely that Arthur has continued this craft tradition handed down by his grandmother – love the intricacy of these snowflakes.

There’s a giveaway on my blog Cathe, if you would like to take part.

5. #6 - maleahbliss says:

Beautiful!! I posted a tutorial on how to fold and cut six pointed snowflakes just yesterday. Check it out: littleeme.blogspot.com

6. #7 - Saucy Chick Sherry says:

What a treasure to receive these snowflakes and even more amazing is the guy who learned how to make these from his grandmother. Legacy lives. Thank you for sharing…

7. #8 - Linda S says:

So totally cool… these are the ultimate snowflakes. Really beautiful.

8. #9 - Suz says:

How FABULOUS…just spent a day cutting paper snowflakes no where as intricate as these beauties but a lot of fun
    Thanks for sharing…..just such wonderful paper craft
    Hugs Suz x

9. #10 - Lisa says:

These are amazing!

10. #11 - Amanda @ 32* North says:

These are the finest paper snowflakes I have ever seen! So delicate, so intricate, so lacy, so perfect!

11. #12 - sue says:

This are so beautiful. Did he happen to mention what type of paper he uses?

12. #14 - Lisa says:

They are beautiful! Thank you both for sharing!
    Incredible!

13. #15 - Kokopelli says:

OMG, Arthur, your talent is incredible! Cathe, thank you for sharing this with us. So beautiful!

14. #16 - Ms Muffin says:

WOW! Seriously! These are AMAZING!
    You should ask your reader whether he could write some kind of tutorial for these. I mean I have made paper snowflakes – like the basic ones that you linked to.
    But they look NOTHING like those! I would really LOVE to learn how to make some that look at least a bit more like those in the photo. I guess there is no way I would ever make something just as beautiful … but just a little bit like those would be already enough. 🙂
    Thanks for sharing them!!!!

15. #17 - Pat B. says:

So BEAUTIFUL ! Thanks for sharing !

16. #18 - mary beth says:

Those are simply awesome! Can you imagine the time and talent represented in these? Thank you so much for sharing them with us…

17. #19 - Annie Pazoo says:

These are utterly amazing, Cathe. I would LOVE to see a video of Arthur making them, or find out more about what kind of paper he uses, whether he uses scissors or xacto, etc. Beautiful!

18. #21 - Rebecka says:

I’ve made paper snowflakes to hang from the ceiling every year for years and years.
    These are FABULOUS in their detail.
    Thanks for sharing.

19. #22 - Janna Jennings says:

Wow! Those are the most beautiful homemade snowflakes I’ve ever seen! I’d love to have his instructions!

20. #23 - AmericKim says:

Breath taking! And handmade?!? Wow!

21. #24 - Lorrie says:

These are gorgeous – so intricate. Heirloom quality paper snowflakes!

22. #25 - Anita says:

Wow! Those are amazing!! My hubby and I tried to do these one year and ours were pathetic.

23. #26 - Anne says:

These are incredibly intricate! I’m so happy that you shared them.

24. #27 - Kim says:

These are absolutely stunning!!! As delicate as real snowflakes – just beautiful. I want some do badly!!

25. Arthur learned his grandmother’s lessons very well indeed. These snowflakes look like the real thing, intricate, delicate and unique. Very glad to meet such generous and talented souls like Arthur from Ukraine and Cathe from California. Thank you for sharing.
    Wishing you and you families Merry Christmas from Massachusetts.
    Peace,
    Donna

26. So beautiful and inspiring, Arthur. We live in a place where snow does not come, so it’s a magical thing to us. Thank you for sharing!

27. #30 - Barbara says:

They are amazing! The amount of patience and time involved is staggering. Thanks for sharing

28. #31 - Candace says:

Gorgeous, I can’t believe how intricate the cuts are. What a great tradition and art to pass on.

29. #32 - Carol says:

Unbelieveable! What gorgeous and delicate work. A real treat for the eyes. I wish he would sell a few because I would LOVE to have such beauties:)
    *smiles*
    Carol

30. #33 - Immi says:

These are spectacular! Thanks for sharing!

31. #34 - Arthur says:

Thank you, Cathe.

I think I can make a kind of tutorial on these. They are really like the basic snowflakes, but a little bit more ornamented. So the tutorial should be about thinking and not about cutting 🙂

32. Pingback: Paperflakes « Felt & Wire

33. #36 - maleahbliss says:

Thank you so much for linking to my site!! 🙂

34. #37 - Sherry McRae says:

These are the most beautiful snowflakes ever! What a talent, to cut those like that is NOT easy! Believe me, I’ve been trying ever since I saw them yesterday! These are incredible! Thanks for sharing them Cathe. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

35. #38 - marysworkshop says:

Those are the most amazing snowflakes I have ever seen- of course except from the “real” ones!

36. #39 - LeeW says:

Arthur’s snowflakes belong in a museum. Breathtaking.

37. #40 - Simply Debbie says:

THESE ARE SO VERY STUNNING AND SO INTRICATE. DID HE SAY HOW LONG IT TOOK HIM TO MAKE EACH ONE? WHAT AN HONOR IT WOULD BE TO OWN ONE…I WOULD PUT IT BEHIND GLASS.
    IT WOULD BE AWESOME TO BE ABLE TO CREATE A SNOWFLAKE LIKE THAT…WHAT A TALENT AND SOOOOOO VERY SPECIAL HE LEARNED IT FROM HIS GRANDMOTHER.
    HUGS
    SIMPLY DEBBIE

38. #42 - jennie w. says:

Since I saw these I have become obsessed with making snowflakes. These are beyond magnificent!

Arthur, you should make a tutorial! I would gladly pay to learn how to make these masterpieces.

39. #43 - Winer Chen says:

this is the most beautiful paper snowflakes i’ve ever seen!

40. #44 - Stephane in Alaska says:

I really don’t think nature herself could make anything more beautiful. These are breathtaking. Thank you for sharing.

41. #45 - Paula says:

Incredible beautifull! Just love it!:)

42. #46 - Faye says:

i just thought i would let you know of a scanner i found that you might find useful. I do not work for them or get credit or anything, i just recently got the vupoint magic wand portable scanner and i love it. its really handy when i want to copy something and dont have way to take the thing i want scanned with me. books, magazine pages, craft ideas anything. you can scan fabric and make it a jpeg. let me know if you have seen it or have one. or if you get one, cuz i love hearing feedback
    http://www.vupoint-magic-wand.com/viewitem.php?groupid=0&productid=0 theres the link for the site.

43. #47 - Beth says:

Beautiful snowflakes!!!

44. #48 - Debra says:

Arthur, your snowflakes are STUNNING! I can’t stop looking at them! Would you consider selling some? And Cathe, please keep us updated if Arthur does a tutorial on them!

45. #49 - CAROLINE says:

Wow, these are just gorgeous. So delicate and detailed!

46. #50 - Jackie B says:

Hi there,
    I have just found your blog and I am in heaven!!! I am Ukrainian by descent, but don’t have much of anything showing my heritage which I would like to pass on to my children. After all, they are 50% Ukrainian! I would love to email Arthur about his beautiful snowflakes — actually “beautiful” isn’t a pretty enough word to describe them! I was wondering if he sold them or sells the directions to make them. I simply must have some. Thanks.

47. #52 - Melanie says:

I love these! I love paper snowflakes, and love Kyiv even more. To have both in one post at one of my favourite blogs…what a lucky day for me 🙂

I am of Ukrainian background so perhaps that is why I find these so special…but it may just be because they are so beautiful. Thanks for sharing, Cathe.

48. #53 - Melanie says:

I also meant to say thank you to Arthur for sharing such a lovely family tradition. Your talent is extraordinary!

49. #54 - Shannon says:

Thank you! I tried this and made two on New Year’s eve (at work) for my boyfriend. He thinks I’m completely adorable now. He took them home and hung them on his patio door. When he asked me for a “blizzard” at first I thought he was craving ice cream but he just cracked up and told me he wanted more snowflakes!! I hope to learn to make ones this beautiful someday.

50. #55 - Tammy Sprinkle says:

WOW!!! How amazing! What a wonderful memory he has each winter of him and his grandmother. She shared with him something very special. Thank you and him for sharing it with us. His snowflakes are AMAZING!

51. #56 - Lori says:

Those are beautiful! Each one is a work of art.

52. Pingback: А снег идет, а снег идет… (копилочка) - kimiburan : kimiburan

53. Beautiful!

Mine are always so hideous. I’ll have to check out the tutorial. I like decorating with paper snowflakes–I just make hubs cut ’em out! Ha!

54. #58 - Janet says:

Thank you so much!!! This is so helpful. This is for my own use. Thy are so beautiful and brings back menories of my youth.

55. #59 - marysworkshop says:

They are incredible! Something so lovely- made with such simple materials.

56. #60 - Johanna Stålros says:

Lovely!!!!! i love them all;)

57. Pingback: Snowflakes! Tutorial and Inspiration « The Lilypad Blog

58. #61 - justice dent says:

these are really cool

59. Pingback: Home Is Where the Art Is » Blog Archive » Create Your Own Winter Wonderland

60. #62 - Helen says:

Astonishing, and completely mesmerizing. I’m really glad you made a record of them–or at least the ones shown here. Do you apply anything to stiffen/strengthen them (after they are cut)?
    You have a gift!!

61. #63 - janis callaway says:

love, love love these

62. #64 - Stacy says:

These snowflakes are SO beautiful!! They are the prettiest ones I have ever seen by far!!!

I collect snowflakes (all in clear or silver) for winter time and would love to learn to make these to hang in my home. Is there any way to get patterns for them????

Please let me know.

Stacy
    contactanastasia@yahoo.com

63. Pingback: Advent. Day 13

64. Pingback: Snowflakes for Sandy Hook « Design Bright

65. #65 - Andrea Williamson says:

Arthur, I’ve been trying to replicate some of your gorgeous snowflakes. I bought a pair of razor sharp crafting sheers, but I’m still not making the snowflake uniform in size. Any suggestions? Do you have patterns that you can share? My young kids are mesmerized by the snowflakes I’m making, thanks to you & Cathe. 🙂

66. Pingback: The Lilypad » Snowflakes! Tutorial and Inspiration

67. Pingback: Snowflake Inspiration | Beautiful & Curious

68. #67 - Tricia says:

Wow. Just WOW..these are by far the most gorgeous snowflake designs i have ever seen…truly awork of art

69. Pingback: Snowflakes | Lorelai's Beads and Things

70. Pingback: Papierschneeflocken » unikatissimas

71. #68 - елена says:

красота! слов нет! КРАСОТА!

72. Pingback: Paper snowflakes | The Whole Sky: Advent

73. #69 - Mariann Stutzman says:

I love the snow flakes! They look beautiful. How can I get instructions on how to make them? Several designs…please let me know. I am willing to pay for them.
    Mariann Stutzman

74. #71 - Judy Brown says:

I love the snow flakes an look forward to making them with my grand children