My Mini Vacation in the Ozarks

Last weekend I was back in my hometown of Springfield, Missouri enjoying some very special time with my mom, sister (Jennifer Farquhar) and sister’s family as well as a wonderful dinner out with old friends.

Postcard courtesy of Vintage Plum

My sister took a couple of days off work so we could do what we love doing together most- shopping for vintage finds. I snapped lots of photos in the short time I was there to share with you. Our first stop during every visit is the Spring Creek Tea Room in Ozark, MO. With adjoining antique collective/indoor flea market, we share a lovely lunch and get our shopping fix all under one roof, thanks to owners Kerry and Brenda…and wonderful staff!Charming details all around the very old building- license plate patchwork covering holes in the wood plank floor and large and sweet parlor seating complete with vintage tablecloths.The tea room fills fast so if you go, you definitely want to get there a few minutes before opening to get a seat. Spring Creek Tea Room is well known for their incredibly delicious cakes. It’s good to order your slice at the same time you order your lunch as they can run out fast. I just love the cake case made of old window panes with the name of each cake written on the glass.Jen had a veggie sandwich & salad and I ate the asparagus quiche & cream of tomato soup. Deeelish! Flavored iced tea is always a treat. She and I share two different slices of cake when we dine there.After lunch we strolled through the market and ran into a friend of my sister’s, Debbie, a dealer at Pheona’s Vintage Market, same place my sis sells, which I share more about below. I had to snap a shot of her fabulous handmade/repurposed hardware jewelry. Very cool.We shopped many other fun places around the Springfield, Nixa and Ozark areas…and my stash started to add up. Cigar boxes, signage, early black travel case, old baseball gloves for my daughter Jamie’s collection, doll limbs for no good reason, farm ledgers, ephemera, and more.With camera in hand it’s always fun to snag shots of all the other things I couldn’t possibly fit into my suitcase (or budget),and pics of other things that caught my eye.One of our days out, my sister packed a picnic lunch that we shared at the Nathanael Greene/Close Memorial Botanical Gardens. Jenny always spoils me, she set up our spot with vintage lawn chairs and linens to dine on homemade chicken salad made with grapes, pecans and celery and served with crackers. She’s the best.I got a sneak peek of Pheona’s Vintage Market in Billings, Mo. where she sells. Owned by the nicest couple, James & Sheila Burks, it’s open the 2nd Saturday of each month, April thru December. I will definitely be planning my next trip around their schedule. You can find lots more of their goodies on their facebook page here.Many dealers at Pheona’s sell in other collectives so it was a bit sparse for my visit as they had pulled merchandise while it was closed, but I understand it’s packed to the brim on sale weekends and folks are lined up to the street to get in. Here are some nice shots I was able to snag anyway.My sister Jenny sews and sells the cutest things at Pheona’s. Baby gift sets: blanket, burp cloth and bib all made from vintage linens. Onsies aproned in vintage feedsack and other darling fabrics. Fun & funky tote bags in fantastic pattern combinations and crisp white pillows trimmed in ruffles fashioned from vintage hankies.

While visiting with my mom in her lovely new apartment, I enjoyed delicious iced tea served in a canning jar complete with crochet cozy. Sweetness! She shared her album full of photos, many I’d never seen of her before. An absolute treasure. (That last one is of both my parents.)I had a beautiful visit and can hardly wait to get back there again. Hope you enjoyed the photos. I’ll leave you with this last one- colorful eggs made from soft milinary blossoms, beads and pins, a little treasure my sister found while shopping. Happy Easter everyone.

This entry was posted in Collecting, shopping, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to My Mini Vacation in the Ozarks

1. #1 - Jen says:

What a beautiful pictorial of our visit together. The greatest treasure shared was time together. I missed you the minute I pulled away from the airport. 143

2. SO lovely!! I adore the crocheted cozy for the mason jar! Sounds like a wonderful trip. 🙂

3. #3 - Vicki says:

Isn’t it such fun to go home and actually have time to get out and about and visit? Such a fun read – thanks,

xoxo

4. #4 - Beverly says:

Lovely pictures.. such a beautiful way to capture history. How cute the jars w/ the cozy.. so southern looking.

5. #5 - SmilynStef says:

Fun fun fun … I’m originally from that area of the Ozarks too … so fun to see some familiar sites, as well as add some new destinations to my travel list … that cake looks amazing.

6. #6 - TidyMom says:

Awe Cathe looks like you had a great time! Happy Easter!

7. #7 - Sheila Burks says:

Cathe, I so enjoyed visiting with you at Relics. Can’t wait for you to come back and see Pheona’s when we are open with the rooms filled up with great treasures. Thanks for coming to see us, we love Jennifer and all that she brings to Pheona’s…what a great sister you have. Happy Easter.

8. #8 - Sarah@Neoteric.Traditional says:

I didn’t grow up in Springfield, but we lived there during HS (Kickapoo) & college. It’s a great little town that I hope to return to someday. Now I’ve got places on my list to see.

9. #9 - Corey Johnston says:

Cathe, I’m originally from the Osage Beach area of Missouri, at Lake of the Ozarks! But we never had such cool shops as the ones you’ve found! Beautiful! I think that the next time I’m home I’m going to have to do some exploring!

10. #10 - sue says:

Love the pics and so glad you and Jen and your mom had a great visit!

11. #11 - Brenda Hayes says:

I love to go to Springfield to the antique shops. I live in Joplin. I have not been to Pheona’s yet. Will have to look that one up.

12. #12 - Cathy says:

What a wonderful vacation you had, and the visit with your Mom is definitely a treasure. Thank you for sharing!

13. #13 - Frankie says:

So very sweet and exciting! Thank you Cathe for sharing with us. Happy Easter!!!

14. #14 - monica says:

lovely!

I so love old family photos…

15. #15 - Jill Hood says:

Thanks for sharing your darling trip…

I loved the pictures of your Mom, too! What a sweetie!

Happy Easter to you and yours!

16. #16 - Elizabeth Toel says:

Thanks for the trip!!! What great pics you took and such treasures! Also a sweet idea to adorn the eggs with the blossoms.

xoxo

17. #17 - Meri Wiley says:

Happy Easter Cathe,

The vintage lawn chairs brought back so many memories. Thanks for the trip back in time.

Hugs,
    Meri

18. #18 - Debbie Walker says:

Hey Cathe! It was so great to meet you at Spring Creek. That is one of my fav spots as well. Everybody at Pheonas will look forward to time with you on your next visit. You have left us with such a jewel in that fabulous sis of yours! Love the pics, especially the ones of the jewelry 🙂 Have a wonderful Easter!

19. #19 - Tammy says:

So glad you had such a great time in my part of the world!
    You did a great job highlighting the Ozarks.
    Come back soon.

20. Loved reading about your trip! We just got back home (Portland) a couple of days ago from a Midwest visit to KS and NE. I love antiquing back there….there’s a different “feel” to the goods than those on the west coast. Homier, sweeter somehow. (my hubby wore his new Dockers on the trip—hee hee 🙂

21. #21 - Teri "Terrific" says:

Thank you for sharing your visit with us; the pictures are wonderful. So happy you had an enjoyable time with family. They sound like such lovely people.

22. #22 - Jacque Chinnery says:

It looks like you had a great trip! I lived in Springfield from 2004 to 2008, so I am familiar with most of the places you mentioned….but I have not been to Pheona’s Vintage Market. I will definitely make a note of that. I looks like an interesting place to visit.

23. #23 - Sirpa says:

So really really lovely pictures, thanks a lot for sharing!
    And Happy Easter to you, too!

24. #24 - Sharon Bennett says:

Looks like you had a great time. Next time I go see my son and his family in Camdenton, I need to go to these places. Yum!

25. #25 - the lovely Mrs E says:

I loved reading this post and seeing your photos! My daughter graduated from Stephens College in Columbia, Missouri…so driving through Springfield I’ve enjoyed the antiquing around those parts tremendously. I always enjoy your blog and your creative ideas – getting to “meet” your family was also a treat. Thanks for sharing!

26. #26 - Sandy Clowes says:

What a wonderful post! I enjoyed every photo.

Sandy

27. #27 - ashley says:

oh my gosh… the spring creek tea room is my ABSOLUTE favorite! i live in branson and drive 45 min just to eat there! they have the best chicken salad sandwiches and the best cakes!! 🙂

28. #28 - Liz C says:

Dear Cathe: Will you take me under your wing? I just want to learn everything I can from you!!! I even live in Petaluma too!
    Love, Liz

29. #29 - Nora Green says:

I love your blog! I came to find it through your post on Pheona’s facebook page. Thanks for sharing!!

30. #30 - Monica Fullerton says:

Cathe… should have known you were a girl from the Ozarks! That explains why your blog is such a friendly place and you are so generous with your talents! I live in Seneca (on the Oklahoma line south of Joplin)… and love that you shared some new places I will plan to check out! Lovely post!!!

31. #31 - Becka says:

Those eggs are darling! Please share with us how you made them?

From a fellow Ozarks girl!

32. #32 - Barb George says:

Cathe…next time you’re back, you need to travel about twenty mi. north of Springfield to Bolivar. Karlin Lane Antiques on Hwy. 13 has some of the best treasures around. I think you and your sister would enjoy it!

33. #33 - Ellen Crawley says:

I can’t believe you are from Springfield! I live in Nixa. Although not from here originally, I’ve been here 10 years and this is definately HOME! I love the Ozarks and especially the people of the Ozarks. I’ve never met friendly, more geniuely nice folks.

p.s. I just “found” you today and love your blog!

34. #34 - Sarah B says:

Cathe,
    I had no idea you were from this area! I just moved here about two years ago…it’s pretty neat. I don’t like winter though so will have to move again in the future! Oh dear.
    Planning a little trip to the tea room next week with a friend visiting from Calif!
    Keep up the good work!
    Sarah

35. #35 - Breana Westberry says:

Asparagus has been used as a vegetable and medicine, owing to its delicate flavour, diuretic properties, and more. It is pictured as an offering on an Egyptian frieze dating to 3000 BC. Still in ancient times, it was known in Syria and in Spain. Greeks and Romans ate it fresh when in season and dried the vegetable for use in winter; Romans would even freeze it high in the Alps, for the Feast of Epicurus. Emperor Augustus reserved the “Asparagus Fleet” for hauling the vegetable, and coined the expression “faster than cooking asparagus” for quick action.*

See the most current content at our blog